Following on from our recent post on Google splitting search indexes it’s finally official – mobile is now the king of the web. For the first time EVER, mobile has passed desktop in the internet browsing percentage race – that’s right, the month of October 2016 seen 51.3% of all internet browsing performed on a mobile device, leaving Desktop lagging behind with just 48.7% of all browsing!

Trends have  been steadily working towards this over the past 6 – 7 years, and we’ve finally arrived at what looks to be the future of web browsing – the majority performed by mobile device users, and why not? With SmartPhones and tablets evolving every day, the casual web user has no need for anything other than a mobile device. Take, for instance, Social Media – all popular social media platforms have their own SmartPhone apps meaning users can be logged in and browsing at the tap of an app, rather than loading up a laptop or desktop PC, opening up a browser window and then typing the web address, followed by logging in.

So, how does this affect you? Well – if your website isn’t mobile friendly, you’re losing out on over half of the internet’s userbase, quite simply, you’re going to fall behind and as time progresses, less and less people will be browsing via desktop, meaning your site will slowly become obselete – that’s why it’s a great idea to ensure you have a responsive web design for your site as soon as possible.

Remember, having a mobile friendly design isn’t only going to mean that the majority of web users can access your website without any problems, it’ll also ensure Google continues to rank your website in it’s mobile search results – the search results, which very soon will be the primary list of results!

It’s important to point out here, that whilst globally, mobile is the market leader in the world of the internet, some of the world’s biggest players – Ireland, the UK and of course, USA are all still marginally favouring desktops over mobile, but how long that will last is yet to be seen, couple that with Google preferring mobile over Desktop and it’s well worth ensuring your website is already mobile friendly – if it isn’t, then don’t hang around, get in there before you lose out!

All of this may seem trivial, but with traffic trends, sales trends follow – more money is now spent online via mobile devices than desktops too, so it’s really a no brainer. Just as an example of how prominent mobile payments are across the world, some of the biggest users are; Turkey, with an absolutely whopping 91% of their consumers using some form of mobile payment – now of course, that doesn’t only mean online payments – there are of course contactless, Apple pay etc type payments – but that is almost 100% of Turkish consumers using a form of mobile payment, Denmark, Norway and Israel aren’t far behind, with 89% 87% and 87% respectively, how long will it be before the rest of the world gets there? We don’t know – but it’s coming!

Mobile is the new big thing.. We’ve been saying it for years, but now, mobile is literally the new big thing!